Sunday, April 10, 2011

Curtain Call! Coda


This is not really the final curtain...I'll post more great looking window dressings as I come across them.  But I'm going to wind down the series, and since the theme has been theatrical, what better way to end it than with two marvelously over the top treatments.


British designer Nicholas Haslam does this great room proud.  As he noted in this feature for Architectural Digest,  "'The ceiling's plasterwork and the Chinese broken valances in the drawing room are simplifications of details at Claydon House in Buckinghamshire.'"  (photographer unknown)


The subject was also chinoiserie at a former Kips Bay Show House, where Anderson Papachristidis Raeymaekers's salon featured opulent cornices inspired by pagodas.  (House & Garden; photographer unknown)






Are any of you wondering what happened to Miss Ellen's portieres?  You remember...the ones Scarlett was in the midst of yanking down for Mammy to fashion into a fancy dress (see my post of March 20, "Curtain Call!  Part I).  As usual, Miss Scarlett got her way (although she didn't get the $300 from Rhett to pay the taxes on Tara) and here's the final result:


What a way to use a tieback!


Then my clever, charming and handsome childhood friend sent me this blurred image from an old TV show, which I think just brings down the house!


Any idea who this is...and any idea who designed the costume?

Find out next time...and thanks for reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.